In a Twitter post, world No 1 Novak Djokovic confirmed he will be part of the Serbia squad at the Tokyo Olympics; the 34-year-old’s inclusion comes after a number of high-profile tennis withdrawals from the Games
Last Updated: 15/07/21 10:17pm
Novak Djokovic will compete for Serbia at the Tokyo Olympics this summer, the world No 1 has confirmed.
The 34-year-old, who won his sixth Wimbledon men’s singles title on Sunday, revealed the news in a post on his Twitter account on Thursday.
In the video post, Djokovic said: “Cannot disappoint my little friend Koujirou. I booked my flight for Tokyo and will proudly be joining #TeamSerbia for the Olympics.”
It will be the Serb’s third Olympics after a fourth-placed finish at London 2012, where he was Serbia’s designated flag-bearer, and Rio 2016 where he was knocked out in the first round by Juan Martin del Potro.
British No 1 Johanna Konta, who also missed Wimbledon, pulled out of participating in Tokyo earlier this week after she tested positive for Covid-19.
Meanwhile, Great Britain’s Dan Evans was also forced to pull out after he too tested positive for Covid-19, with Jamie Murray named as his replacement.
Neal Skupski will now team up with Murray, a seven-time Grand Slam doubles champion, after the pair featured together during last season’s ATP Tour and the 2019 Davis Cup Finals.
“I am delighted that Jamie will be joining us on the plane to Tokyo,” Team GB tennis team leader Iain Bates told the LTA website.
“It is great to have an athlete of Jamie’s experience and calibre as part of the team and I look forward to the Games starting in just over a week’s time.”